The Coding Wand is fully compatible Kindle Fire – HD8 (2016) and HD10 (2017) or newer.
First, ensure your Kindle Fire is running 220.127.116.11 or higher as this is required per the specifications here.
To set up your Coding Wand with Kindle Fire, you need to enable Location-based Services.
- On your Kindle, go to settings (pull down from the top)
- Go to "Safety and Privacy"
- Turn on "Location-based services"
Still not working?
- Make sure Location-based services are turned on
- Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app, from the Parent Zone
- Try restarting your Kindle
- Try creating a new Kano account by clicking on the ⚙️icon inside the app
- Use the account from an Adult profile – for tips on switching Kindle profiles from Kid to Adult, click here
Why are location services needed?
The Coding Wand needs to know its very rough location (hundreds of yards) during setup only. This is part of the Bluetooth standard, as implemented by Google on Android (code here), and included on the Kindle.
Note: We do not store your location data after this setup process on our servers.
Amazon does not allow Kindle Freetime accounts to use the Location-Based Services that Google's BLE implementation requires – so you need to change profiles to an "adult" account, with Location-Based Services turned on. This affects other kids products too, including connected Lego on Kindle. But changing accounts, and enabling Location-based services, will get the app running smoothly, instantly.
I'm still having trouble with the app on Kindle!
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. If your Coding Wand is still not connecting, please feel free to Submit A Request and we will get back to you within 1 business day.